Share your low protein recipe with othersSubmit a Recipe
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ cup green beans, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1¼ cups Loprofin Rice
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ cup pineapple pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, capsicum and beans. Boil for 2 minutes to flavour the liquid.
- 2. Rinse the rice under cold water to remove some of the starch, add to the stock with the salt. Cook uncovered stirring occasionally for 8 minutes but allowing the rice to retain a moist consistency. Add more water if necessary.
- 3. Stir the chopped tomato and pineapple pieces into the rice.
- 4. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Serve topped with spring onions and a green salad on the side.
What is island rice?
Island rice is a deliciously, flavoursome risotto-like dish, packed with fresh and tropical flavours. Let the combination of colourful vegetables and the sweetness of the pineapple, thrill your tastebuds.There are different varieties of island rice from tropical island rice, Caribbean rice to Hawaiian rice. Regardless of variety, this island rice recipe is so good that you’ll be wanting to eat it for lunch and dinner!
What do you need to make PKU island rice?
- To make PKU friendly island rice, you will need all the ingredients listed in the island rice recipe above, and a few extra tools to prepare, cook and eat the meal! The necessary items and tools you will need are:
- Sauce pan
- Chopping board
- Plates and cutlery
- Make sure all the ingredients are measured correctly before cooking. Using kitchen scales, standard metric measuring cups and spoons can help ensure accuracy. This will guarantee that all the ingredients and toppings are suitable for your specific PKU diet.
What can I eat with PKU island rice?
- PKU island rice can be consumed as aside dish, eaten as the main course or enjoyed on its own! For a quick lunch,enjoy your island rice with a side dish of vegetable kebabs. However, no meal is complete without a beverage! Sticking with the tropical theme, try our Lophlex LQ tropical arnold palmer or tropical ginger berry fizz to quench your thirst.
Tips for cooking rice
- When it comes to low protein rice, Loprofin Rice is a versatile pantry must-have. Follow these easy rice cooking tips for perfect rice every time!
- Use a saucepan or a deep pot to cook the rice
- Make sure the water is boiling, before adding the rice
- Adding a bit of oil to the pan can help minimise the grains sticking together
- Keep an eye on the pan as the rice may clump together
- After the rice is cooked, rinse it under cold water to prevent clumps and stickiness
See here for more rice cooking tips.
Other rice recipes
- Rice is a versatile ingredient that can be enjoyed as a savoury or sweet dish.
- For the spice fiend looking to add a little heat in their life, try our fried rice with a hot twist. You can have all the goodness of fried rice, with the added spiced note! Or try something a little more colourful, our Indian rice pairs well with a vegetable curry. It’s the perfect meal for an evening spent parked in front of the TV.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, take your taste buds on an escapade to North Africa with our flavoursome vegetable tagine on lemon rice. Let the flavours of cumin, garlic, onion and cinnamon whisk you away.
- Who doesn’t love a burger for dinner? Try our Moroccan rice and vegetable burgers for something a little different. Integrating the cooked rice with the softened vegetables and spices, simply fry them up and you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
- For the sweet tooths, you can’t go past a good sweet honey and pear rice pudding. Indulge in the creaminess of rice pudding, combined with the natural sweetness of the pears. This will be a family favourite in the making!